Spear and Shield, symbolized the cultural heritage of the municipality.
Golden Rice Fields and Thriving Bamboo Trees, signify the minicipality’s agricultural productivity.
Mountains, indicate the abundance of water and minerals.
History and government
Like any other town, Peñarrubia has its own share of historical evolution. The events and circumstances leading to its creation were started by two Tinguian brothers, Etten and Daggualey.
With the arrival of the Spanish missionaries, many of the natives were converted. The conversion was celebrated by a mass baptismal rite where the native converts were given Christian names thus, one of the notable converts was Daggueley. Etten disliked the Christian faith and the persuasions of his brothet Daggueley. Etten’s refusal coupled with his dislike of the Christian faith spawned an irreconcilable difference with his brother. .
To avoid an armed confrontation his tribe and his brother’s Etten led his men eastward, settling on a hill. Shortly Etten and his men established a new settlement of their own, Daggualey and the Spaniards followed them. This time, an armed conflict was inevitable. The battle which ensued ended with the two tribes losing the lives of some of their fiercest men. Etten fled father into the mountains. Some of Etten’s men followed, others surrended and were made Christian converts.
Haunted by the treachery of his brother, Etten wandered through the forests and mountains until he settled on a place called “Patok”, the place which is now Peñarrubia. Some of Etten’s men became unsatisfied and moved to other places. Panabang and his group settled in Dumayco, while Manacdac and his men settled at Palacia. Kalugay and his band settled at Balanak but after sometime they moved to Namarabar, Dukinal. Kalugay’s wife Balugin and a group of Itnegs settled at Annay and then at Patiao.
These pioneer settlements finally were Christianized and were regrouped by the Spaniards in 1723 into two Rancherias: Rancheria Gravelinas and the Rancheria Patok. The two Rancherias were organized as a town which was then called Patok. For 161 years, the new town existed until 1884 when it was renamed Alfonso XII in honor of the king of Spain. The event transpired during the administration of Don Jose La Guardia.
In 1903, the Americans came and subdued the Spaniards. They changed the name of the community from Alfonso XII to Peñarrubia in honor of the Spanish Governor who was said to be the harshest to the Itnegs. Peñarrubia marked its creation as a municipality on the 5th of March, 1917.
Today, Peñarrubia is composed of 9 barangays: Poblacion, Lusuac, Malamsit, Sta.Rosa, Dumayco, Riang, Patiao, Namarabar and Tattawa.
It has its own important symbols. Its municipal flower is the wild cosmos (violet) which was chosen because of its abundance in the locality. Its municipal tree is acacia which denotes immortality. Its municipal hymn is Salidummay, Peñarrubia version. The municipal fruit is coconut.